Powless Clutch In Overtime Thriller

Uncasville, CT – Stephan Leblanc scored with seven seconds left in regulation, and Johnny Powless scored 47 seconds into overtime on a feed from Kevin Crowley as the New England Black Wolves pulled out a 13-12 overtime win against the Calgary Roughnecks before 5,098 at Mohegan Sun Arena on Sunday.

The Black Wolves (7-8) snapped a four-game losing streak, improving to 3-0 in overtime games this season, 4-0 overall in games decided by one goal this year. The victory keeps New England firmly in a wild East Division playoff race.

Trailing The Roughnecks (6-9) by deficits of 5-1 and 6-2 early on, the Black Wolves rallied behind a season-high five goals from Callum Crawford (he also had two assists) and yet another hat trick from Crowley (three goals, three assists).

Held scoreless in the first half, Crowley collected his sixth straight hat trick, his eighth in nine games and his 11th overall this season over the last 30 minutes. He extended his streak of games with at least one goal to 34 games, and now has 44 goals on the year. He needs just two more to break his single-season career high of 45, set last year.

The Black Wolves did not take their first lead of the game until the fourth quarter, when Crowley scored consecutive goals in the first 1:28 of the fourth quarter to make it 10-9. Calgary’s Holden Cattoni (three goals, two assists) tied the game at 10 about two minutes later, and it remained that way until Crawford beat Calgary goalie Cristian Del Bianco with just under five minutes remaining.

Dane Dobbie (three goals, four assists) answered 45 seconds later, however, and the Roughnecks regained the lead when Wesley Berg (three goals, five assists) beat goalie Aaron Bold with 45 seconds remaining.

But New England regained possession in the closing seconds after a huge save by Bold, and immediately called timeout to set up a final play. The Black Wolves pulled Bold for a 6-on-5, and Leblanc converted to send the game into overtime.

In the overtime, Bold came up with another save on Calgary’s first possession, and Powless converted on the other end.

Calgary pulled out to an early 5-1 lead with 10:20 remaining in the second quarter after netting four unanswered goals from Dobbie, Curtis Dickson, Cattoni and Mitch Wilde.

The Black Wolves would battle back before the end of the first half with a scoring run of their own. Powless scored with 3:09 left in the half to make it 6-3 before Mark Cockerton and Crawford scored goals 13 seconds apart to make it 6-5 late in the half.

The Black Wolves travel to Colorado next Saturday for a game that will start at 9 p.m. EST.